Dear KTFC Members & Friends:
I want to thank the members who participated in this week’s Coalition meeting. Although we had originally expected to discuss PennDOT’s budget hearing before the Senate Appropriations Committee, that hearing was pushed back to April 21.
Instead, we reviewed the first iteration of a PowerPoint slide deck that will serve as the backbone of our legislative outreach initiative. Kudos to APC’s Kim Maiolo for a nice job.
As I have mentioned before, 60 percent of the General Assembly has turned over since passage of Act 89 of 2013. As we face a new transportation funding dilemma, it is imperative that we help lawmakers understand the needs of the various constituencies that Coalition members represent.
Our meeting was virtual, as all Coalition meetings have been for the past year. And while most of us prefer in-person engagement, the fact is that Zoom and similar platforms tend to enable greater participation. Today, more than three dozen members had the opportunity to review the slide deck, provide feedback and ask questions.
We will meet again in two weeks to review progress on the slide deck.
TRANSPORTATION ISSUE UPDATE
- Senate Transportation Committee Chair Wayne Langerholc, R-Cambria County, has introduced legislation that would block PennDOT’s plan to repair or replace nine bridges using toll revenue to pay for the program.
- PennDOT announced that the Brandywine Valley Scenic Byway in Chester and Delaware counties has received a National Scenic Byways designation from the Federal Highway Administration.
- PhilaPort broke ground on a new warehouse that will fuel the next phase of development for one of the fastest growing ports in America.
- A report from the American Council for an Energy Efficient Economy shows that many states, including Pennsylvania, could do more to support electric vehicles and EV infrastructure in their states.
- Philadelphia officials, regional partners and SEPTA officials released their collective vision for the future of public transit in the city. The vision is one that connects residents to opportunity, supports the economy and fights climate change.